Welcome to cityfinancecommission.co.uk
Former home of Setting Cities Free – Releasing the Potential of Cities to Drive Growth, the final report of the City Finance Commission.
The report looked at the centralised nature of government funding and proposed Area Growth Budgets where Whitehall would devolve budgets to cities which were belived to have benefit for the national economy, local businesses, local communities and city governance.
Five recommendations were made in the report - these are:
- The introduction of Area Growth Budgets
- Commitment to city-lead growth through devolution pilots
- A business rate system that reconnects business and local government and incentivises growth
- Tax Increment Financing powers to encourage infrastructure investment
- A new relationship between business, central government and local government